Wednesday 20 July 2011

Whimsy Wednesdays #1

      This is basically going to be a collection of random shit which I find to be of interest. If you don't find it enjoyable, feel free to deal with it, 'cause it's not going anywhere.
      This week we're enjoying the words of old. Basically, I found a Oxford English Dictionary, published in 1941. Upon flitting through its surprisingly well-kept pages, I came across a plethora of quite charming definitions, far less scientific than today.

Ga'laxy, n. irregular luminous band of stars encircling heavens; brilliant company.

Grotesque' (-sk), n. a style of decorative art

Pink n. point of perfection or excellence

Tear n. drop let fall from the eye

Turtle ~Soup, made from the green turtle

Wheeze v.i. breathe with audible friction

      And if you were ever wondering the scientific word for a 'pun' - it's 'Paronomasia'. Also, just beore I leave you, here's one of my favorite quotes from Oscar Wilde;

"His style is chaos illumined by flashes of lightning. As a writer he has mastered everything except language."

Anyway I hope you enjoyed today's whimsy, I know it's short but if it was long it might not be as whimsical.

X AJ

Sidenote- I'm still on holiday when you're reading this so - if no post comes up tomorrow or the day after or the week after, it means I never wrote enough posts, which makes me a terrible human being, feel free to chastise me in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment