Thursday 14 July 2011

One of One, Not of Many... Part II/The Human Condition... Part II

      Alas, we meet again. I left you last week with an issue of being stereotyped or stereotyping. I also left you two days ago with one of our species' many 'conditions'; faults which continuously set us back in our disjointed struggle to become better beings. I realized that this issue of stereotyping is yet another of our infinite problems, hence, here we are, with a double 'Part II' if that makes sense. Anyway, much of this post will seem stupid and random if you don't read the last post again or even for the first time. That last post 'One of ONe, Not of Mant... Part I' can be found here.
      So, assuming you've read the last post, here is the other situation in which stereotypes and categorizing become treacherous territory.
      A couple of weeks ago or so, I heard a story of a guy, a gay guy as it would happen, who's mother had been talking with some of his friends, it went a little like this;

Friend(s): "My son is so difficult at the moment, he hardly talks to me and he rarely remembers my birthday or mothers' day, and sometimes even Christmas"
Mum: "My son's usually very good with that sort of stuff"
Friend(s): "Yes, but that's because he's gay"

      Now, this (as far as I know) hasn't happened to my mother or brother or anything like that. But on countless occasions this sort fo thing has happened directly to me. People responding with perfectly well-meant lines such as "Yeah, but that's because you're gay". Now I usually go quite a long way in terms of tolerating people who say these sorts of things. Mainly because some of these people are actually close friends, (That's also perhaps why I'm abroad whilst this is being published). Now, It's fine, I can deal with it, I'm not gonna go into full on 'pissed' mode (and by that I mean angry not drunk, well maybe both), but I feel it's important that people understand that nothing I say, do or like that I say do or like because I'm gay - outside of being attracted to men that is. I am everything I am because I'm Angus* not because I'm gay. I like Battlestar Galactica and Ugly Betty because I'm Angus. I like Madonna and the Scissor Sisters because I'm Angus. I like dancing and Chicago: The Musical because I'm Angus. Believe it or not homosexuals do not receive a manual on 'The Gay Code' at birth. We choose what we like because that's what we like, not because we're gay. Anyway, I won't scream down your ear any longer.

X AJ

*yes that's my name, if you didn't know already, Angus James, which is the AJ thing that I've got going on. Also, Angus in scottish gaelic (an gus) means one choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment