Monday 30 May 2011

Where The Heart Is...

      As promised, I have returned from the theatre, an emotional mess and ready to vomit my emotions out unashamedly onto the internet. The play 'A View From The Bridge', deals with many themes, but one of the more simple, basic, surface ideas of the play that got me thinking was the attraction people have to places: Why people go where they do, what people do there, why they do it and where they want to be. Now, allow me to devoid completely from the play, but a thought came into my head; "Home is where the heart is". The idea of home confuses me, some people say it's where you were born, where your family is or simply, anywhere you are, and then of course there are those who simply don't understand the concept of home, seeing themselves to be free spirits, roaming where they please without anything holding them back.
      I myself do not see where I live right now, as home. I define the idea of a 'home' as somewhere where you confide in people, where you are able to realize and express emotions and listen to those of the people around you and furthermore, where you feel an overwhelming amount of passion or expectation. So for example, I do have a home right now, it exists in three places. The first, is the home I have in my friends, as I do so many things with them, and so much of my life has been spent with them. The second, is in my brother and my mother, due to the overwhelming love I feel for both of them, and by the same token, the love I feel I get from them. The third, is the one which confuses me the most, the one I fail to understand myself sometimes, and that is, my future, my dreams; the person I will love, I feel at home with him, despite the fact I've never met him, I feel at home, knowing that he may come. Furthermore, the places I am going to be, I feel at home there, every time I pass my weekends in London, I feel home, it offers so much to me as in my heart and my head I know I will pass a large part of my life there, my expectations and dreams lie there, and that excitement, that potential, makes me at home.
      So anyway, I would digress back to my first point but after writing "I digress back to my original point, trying desperately to link what I just said to the first statement, the play itself, deals with these ideas of places, going to them and doing things there, what I...", I realized anything I said after "what I..." would be, quite plainly, bullshit, and I do not wish for you to suffer that, and I know that I went off on a spectacular tangent, but it was loosely linked, right? Furthermore, my excuse for this shocking trail of thought, and for the one's that will follow is my own little saying "If we didn't go off in tangents, we'd be going round in circles" (I think that's right, I'm not very good at geometry you see...)

Talking of London, I'm heading down on Thursday, so expect much cultural chit-chat and philosophical oozing. Good word that, oozing, you never really want to say the '-ing'; it's one of those words where you never really want it to end, just keep hanging on the ooooozzzze, i won't overuse it though, It'll begin to sound weird in my head.

On that deranged not I'll pull myself away from the laptop.

X AJ

Also, I will continue to annoy you by writing this at the bottom of every post, but do leave your maverick ramblings and hate mail in the comments below. If this blog ever does get read by more than two people, I would love to read your thoughts in order to pass the time. Oozing.

1 comment:

  1. Ew, oozing's a gross word. And nice saying, I am soooo gonna nick it. I think your geometry might be right though - if one didn't go off on a tangent what were they on before? As far as I know only circlular lines have tangents which touch them at one point. Of course one could just be following a curve not an actual circle but you could call that pedanticism :)

    ReplyDelete